The constant challenge of podcasters is finding and growing their audience, otherwise known as "marketing".
You'll find a million articles on the web about content marketing. Here's a list of ways to reach potential listeners and convert them to subscribers.
- 5.Make business cards. Good ones — like, Moo good. You never know when you'll meet a potential listener, advertiser or sponsor. A card is the best way to help someone find you after a meetup, flight, trade show, etc.
- 2.Join LinkedIn groups related to your podcast topic. Check in regularly and contribute to conversations. Try to resist plugging your podcast, except when a link to an episode would be a legitimately-helpful resource.
- 3.Put out episodes regularly. One per week (or more) is ideal, but one every two weeks is fine — consistency trumps all.
- 4.Make your podcast title more discoverable with keywords. Bad: "Close Call". Good: "Close Call – Funny Phone Calls with Our Neighbors".
- 5.Make episode titles descriptive instead of "cute". They're an opportunity to use keywords that you want to be associated with your podcast.
- 7.Create a page for your podcast on Facebook. Or better, if your podcast lends itself to community discussions create a Facebook group.
- 8.Create a newsletter.
- 1.Hold webinars.
- 2.Create online courses.
- 3.Transcribe your podcast to help boost your SEO.
- 4.Start a blog that would attract the same persona(s) that you’re looking to attract to your podcast.
- 5.Connect with reporters.
- 6.If you mention products, let them know so their social media folks can retweet.